Europe Natural Sweeteners Market Key Insights:
- Types: Sucrose, Glucose & Fructose Syrups, Sorbitol, Mannitol, Xylitol, Stevia, Others
- Europe Natural Sweeteners Market Overview
- Market Performance & Price Trends 2018
- Market Analysis & Outlook 2019-2024
- Demand by Application & Region
- Capacity Addition & Plant Turnarounds
Europe Natural Sweeteners Market Outlook
The European Natural Sweeteners market attained a volume of more than 30 million MT in 2018, higher by about 2.4% as compared to the previous year. Increasing demand for sugar substitutes and low-calorie food and beverages have supplemented the growth of the market. Further, consumers have been displaying apprehension towards artificial sweeteners and greater interest in natural, plant-derived intensive sweeteners.
Owing to the greater consumption of bakery and confectionery products, Europe falls just behind America to hold a market share of nearly 17%. Europe natural sweeteners market is projected to grow at a CAGR of nearly 1.7% over the forecasted years due to increased application of sweeteners in the region.
Foods and beverages are the largest categories with reference to overall new product introductions, and among segments with the highest number of low/no/reduced sugar or calorie introductions. Toothpaste has exhibited increased low/no/reduced sugar claims and reduction in grams sugar per serving (100 grams).
Greater incidences of obesity and diabetes among the population are further expected to drive the growth of the market.
The European market is expected to witness a CAGR of 2.3% annually during the forecasted period from 2019 to 2024. The international high-intensity sweetener market has grown with natural sweeteners like stevia being the most popular product.
Sweeteners: Properties and Applications
Sweeteners are food additives used to sweeten foods with reduced or no extra sugar content; they are usually present in table-top sweeteners ready for consumption. Sweeteners vary by sweetness potency and are categorized as artificial sweeteners and natural sweeteners.
Maize, wheat and potato are the common feedstocks used in the manufacturing of natural sweeteners. Popular natural sweeteners include:
- Glucose & Fructose Syrups
Major natural sweeteners in Europe comprise sugar, sugar alcohols, starch sweeteners and intense sweeteners.
Europe Sweeteners Market Analysis
Growing concerns towards health and nutrition have drawn attention to natural sweeteners. Stevia extract, in particular, has received the maximum attention from the UK and Germany. This report segments the market based on applications in pharmaceuticals, food & beverages, toothpaste, Industries amongst others.
- In 2018, Cargill officially started producing EverSweet™, a zero-calorie, next-generation sweetener made with two of the best tasting sweet compounds found in the stevia leaf, Reb M and Reb D.
- In 2018, Archer Daniels Midland Company and Russia-based Aston Foods and Food Ingredients have launched their 50-50 joint venture to provide sweeteners and starches to customers in Russia.
The report presents a detailed analysis of the following key players covering their capacities, market share and latest turn of events such as mergers and acquisitions, capacity expansions and plant turnarounds in the European sweeteners market:
- Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)
- Associated British Foods plc
- Cargill, Inc.
- Corbion Purac (Corbion N.V.)
- Celanese Corporation
- Ingredion, Inc.
- Danisco Du Pont (Dansico A/S)
- DSM (Koninklijke DSM N.V.)
Further, the report sheds light on the macro and micro aspects of industry performance, recent trends, major challenges and key drivers. SWOT analysis, value chain analysis and Porter’s five forces analysis of Europe natural sweeteners market have been carried out. Manufacturing and processing requirements, cost of a project, project funding, returns on investment and expected profit margins have also been estimated.